Saber tooth Tiger Description
- The saber toothed tiger is best known for its long upper canines.
- The cat lived 2.5 million years ago during the Pleistocene epoch.
- It went extinct 10,000 years ago.
- Smilodon gracilis was the smallest of Smilodons.
- Smilodon populator was the largest of Smilodons.
- The cat was an apex predator.
- Saber tooth tiger was an ambush hunter hiding it in thick bushes.
- The cat is not related to a modern-day tiger.
Size & Weight
- WEIGHT: 55 to 100 kg (120 to 220 lb)
- WEIGHT: 160 to 280 kg (350 to 620 lb)
- SHOULDER HEIGHT: 100 cm (39 in)
- BODY-LENGTH: 175 cm (69 in)
- WEIGHT: 220 to 400 kg (490 to 880 lb)
- SHOULDER HEIGHT: 120 cm (47 in)
- CANINES: 28 cm (11 in)
- Smilodon gracilis (2,500,000 – 500,000 years ago)
- Smilodon fatalis (1,600,000 – 10,000 years ago)
- Smilodon populator (1,000,000 – 10,000 years ago)
Dense vegetation, grasses, woods, shrubs, subtropical forests, treeless steppes
North America, South America
American bison, camel, Hemiauchenia, ungulates, horses, ground sloths, deer, antelopes, mammoths, mastodons
American lion, dire wolf