- Chameleons have got the unique ability to change their colors with respect to the surroundings.
- They possess prehensile tail and rapidly extrudable tongue.
- Chameleons prefer to live in warm habitats including deserts.
- Chameleons make good pets.
- When a chameleon changes its color it probably tells the other chameleon its mood or intentions.
- Their feet are adapted to arboreal movement.
- Each of the chameleon’s eyes operates and focuses independently. They can see insects at 5 – 10 meter distance.
- Chameleons lack ears but they can hear sound frequencies ranging 200 – 600 Hz.
- They throw their tongues more than twice the length of their body.
- It’s impossible to see a chameleon catching an insect because it takes chameleon 0.07 seconds to project its tongue.
- Chameleon accelerates its tongue from 0 – 60 mph in 1/100th of a second. (National Geographic)
Mountain rainforests, deserts, tropical rainforests, savannas, steppes
Northern Africa, Middle East, islands of Western Indian Ocean, Sri Lanka, southern India, California, Florida, southern Portugal, southern Greece, southern Turkey, Lebanon, Iraq, Pakistan, Israel, Jordon, Canary Islands, Comoro islands, Malta
Insects, young birds, lizards, crickets, caterpillars, ants, amphibians, butterflies, snails, geckos, worms, earthworms, grasshoppers, flies
Tender shoots, berries, dandelion leaves, oats, apple, green leaves, waxworms, lettuce, tomatoes, bananas
10 – 40 eggs
8 – 6 months
4 – 24 months
1 – 2 years
2 – 10 years